Living the Word (Psalm 119:1-8)

 

1.Happy are people of integrity, who follow the law of the Lord.  2.Happy are those who obey his decrees and search for him with all their hearts.  3.They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths.  4.You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully.  5. Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your principles!  6. Then I will not be disgraced when I compare my life with your commands.  7. When I learn your righteous laws, I will thank you by living as I should!  8. I will obey your principles.  Please don't give up on me!

1) Happiness is in living the Word (v.1-2)

I have chosen this psalm for my own well-being and to share it with you for your benefit as well.  It is the longest of the psalms in the Bible.  It is all about God's Word, the Bible.  This psalm starts by mentioning the benefits of living by the Word. Unfortunately, the news and social media constantly bombards us with their anti-word slogan.  Consequently, they distract us from the Word.  But, the Word encourages us to live by it for our own happiness.  Do we believe it enough?  Why are we still doing what we are doing?

2) Avoiding Compromise (v.3-5)

The path of righteousness is very narrow.  We should not to give into evil and temptations.  Being charged just means that we are responsible for keeping his commandments.  We actually, also have to be aware that our actions will  reflect his Word to others.

3) Living up to the Standard of the Word (v.6-8)

Lastly, I must not compare my life with someone else, but to the standard of His Word.  The Word of God should always be our measuring stick for our actions.  Disgrace comes when we live below the standard of what God has shown us in His Word and in our personal walk with him.  The example of righteous living is our expression of thanksgiving to our Father, like a child's good behavior is an expression of thanksgiving and pride to his or her parents.  Fortunately, God is so patient with us and we must beg him to not give up on us for we are frail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit of the Spirit...Patience?

Is It a Blue Christmas?

The Holy Spirit: My Guarantee