The Value of a Promise (Psalm 119:41-47)

 

41.  Lord, give to me your unfailing love, the salvation that you promised me.  42. Then I will have an answer for those who taunt me, for I trust in your word.  43. Do not snatch your word of truth from me, for my only hope is in your laws.  44. I will keep on obeying your law forever and forever.  45. I will walk in freedom, for I have devoted myself to your commandments.  46. I will speak to kings about your decrees, and I will not be ashamed.  47. How I delight in your commands!  How I love them!  I honor and love your commands.  I meditate on your principles.  (Psalm 119:41-47)

1) Assurance of a promise v.41-42

Admittedly, a comforting promise is all the psalmist wants.  Assuredly, a promise of salvation from his enemies.

In David's heart, a promise is as precious  as gold.  In all reality, how difficult would it be to face a giant like Goliath without a promise from the Lord.  For in every word of God is a seed of life contained.  God forbid that we would face any calamities or plagues without a word from the Lord.

2) Seed of hope v.43

Immeasurably, David foresees that any loss in his life of the word of truth would rob him of all hope for within the word is the seed of hope.

3) Renewed boldness

Persistently, he wants to obey his word unendingly.  He wants to walk in freedom from the letter of the law and into the Spirit.  He is now devoted and feels he is capable to face kings with the truth without shame.

Daily and nightly meditation

Proper meditation should be on the Word of God and what it has done in our lives.  His principles are the very fundamental truths of the Word of God and sometimes it is good for us to go back to the basics

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit of the Spirit...Patience?

Is It a Blue Christmas?

The Holy Spirit: My Guarantee