The Cross: Defeat or Victory? (Isaiah 50:4-9) (Matthew 27:30)

 

The Cross: Defeat or Victory

To many the Cross has been portrayed as a defeat, but not to God.  It means victory over death and sin.

To some people, anything that looks like a threat is a defeat, but not to God or God’s peoples at least it should not be.  I believe these verses speak of Jesus at what would be his Crucifixion much later:

Isaiah 50:4-9

 (I will write down only the verses that means the most of what I want to say)

Verse 5 The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;

I have not been rebellious,

I have not turned away.

                                        Verse 6 I offered my back to those who beat me,

                                                      My cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;

                                                       I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting

                                          Verse 7 Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,

                                                       I will not be disgraced…

                                            Verse 9 It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me

                                                        Who will condemn me?

                                                         They will all wear out like a garment;

                                                          The moth will eat them up.

 

Does this look like words of defeat from a man who was not in control, God was in control.  The Crucifixion was prophesied in the passage as in the same way Jesus was insulted and spat upon (

 

Matthew 27:30 Then they spit on him (Jesus) and took the staff and struck him on the head.

 

He was willing to die on the Cross and die for you and me for yours and mine sins no matter how gross or evil they are.  He died for the worse sinner already and now he wants you.

In the Book of Revelation, he comes victorious on a horse because that is what he is.  Except him no one has or will ever die for you.  Only Jesus because it is too high of a price to pay for someone else.

 

The last words of verse 9 sums it all up: “They will all wear out like a garment. The moth will eat them up” Tell me what kind of picture do you see in this? … I see them becoming useless and defeated.  He is my Hero for sure!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Legacy of Wisdom Proverbs 8:17

Changes are happening

Making Promises to God