Who is your father? (John 8:31-44)


Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you keep obeying my teachings.  And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

"But we are descendants of Abraham," they said. "We have never been slaves to anyone on earth.  What do you mean,  'set free'?"

Jesus replied, "I assure  you that everyone who sins is a slave of sin.  A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever.  So if the Son sets you free, you will indeed be free.  Yes, I realize that you are descendants of Abraham.  And yet some of you are trying to kill me because my message does not find a place in your hearts.  I am telling you what I saw when I was when I was with my Father.  But you are following the advice of your father."

"Our father is Abraham," they declared.

"No," Jesus replied,  "for if you were children of Abraham, you would follow his good example."  I told you the truth I heard from God, but you are trying to kill me.  Abraham wouldn't do a thing like that.  "No, you are obeying your real father when you act that way."

They replied, "We were not born out of wedlock!  Our tru Father is God himself."

Jesus told them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God.  I am not here on my own, but he sent me.  Why can't you understand what I am saying?   It is because unable to do so!  For you are the children of your father the Devil, and you love to do the evil things he does.  He was a murderer from the beginning and has always hated the truth.  There is no truth in him.  When he lies it is consistent with his character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

In this discourse, Jesus simply tell them that if they were anyone's father the would follow his example.  The example they would follow would show who their fathers would be.

If you are Abraham's children then follow Abraham's example.  Abraham wouldn't try to kill me.  Jesus told them.

If God were your father, you would love me.  He tells them.

So according to Jesus, their father was the devil because they lied and killed by wanting to kill him.  Their character was consistent with his.  Your character is consistent with your father.

He definitely gave them more than one chance to repent as he offered himself as the way to God the Father. He is the Son that will set you free.  No need to become angry at him who can save you.  It would be your loss.  Turn to him for he is the only One who offers you all that is satisfaction and peace and love.  His name Emmanuel means God with us.  He is coming back soon.

Have a great day!






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit of the Spirit...Patience?

Is It a Blue Christmas?

The Holy Spirit: My Guarantee