Success at its Prime (Joshua 1:6-9)

 

Surely, no one in their wildest dream ever plans or think:  'I am going to be a failure today'.  What really make us successful?  Money? or something else?  Paul Getty, a wealthy man and a petrol-industrialist wished to give anything for a successful marital life as he had divorced four wives.

He had said:

"I hate to be a failure.  I hate and regret the failure of my marriages.  I would gladly give all my millions for just one lasting marital success."

(brainyquote.com)

God through the Bible, actually wants us to be successful.  Well, what is it to be successful?  I am glad you asked!

In Joshua 1:6-9 it says,

Be strong and courageous for you will lead my people to possess the land I swore to give their ancestors.  Be strong and very courageous.  Obey all the laws Moses gave you.  Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do.  Study this Book of the Law continually.  Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it.  Only then will you succeed.  I command you---be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Do we actually believe this?  Unbelief is a sin.

Well, we say, "How can this passage relate to me?  I don't even lead a million people why would I need to do that?

Nevertheless, it is that every single one of us has some kind of responsibility in their lives right now.  Unless, we can handle this responsibility that we have with all our heart and mind and soul.  Let's not bother to even move on, we are stuck because God will not give us a bigger responsibility.  If we can't love people and not manipulate them, let's not bother moving on until we have improved or it will be a disaster.

In the past, I thought that a good Christian principle of success were the words, "Be strong and very courageous" and so I would work hard to be successful.  But, just now as I connect the words "successful" to other words in this passage.  Then, it becomes very clear that it is studying, obeying and meditating on the Word of God and "Do not turn away from them" that really makes me successful.  Outward appearance, or a courageous attitude and a prowess do not make me successful.  Indeed, it is honestly what we do with the Word of God when nobody is there to evaluate us, but God. Indeed, everyone of our action has to be compared to the Word for evaluation.  This also takes time

Just let's be honest with ourselves and evaluate ourselves to see if we are really trying as hard as we say we are.  If we can't do that, neither can God move us onto higher grounds and greener pastures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit of the Spirit...Patience?

Is It a Blue Christmas?

The Holy Spirit: My Guarantee