My Father taught me (Proverbs 4:4-6)

My father taught me,
"Take my words to heart.
Follow my commands, and you will live.
Get wisdom; develop good judgment.
Don't forget my words or turn away from them.
Don't turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you.
Love her, and she will guard you.

A father or a mother teaches wisdom all the time by their examples and words.  Some parents have been gifted with more wisdom than others, but in the end there is a wisdom that will stick with that child for the rest of his life.
Like a mother teaching her child to walk on the side of the street facing the traffic, if the child listen this could save his life.  He might remember it for the rest of his or her life.  My mother taught me principles of etiquettes and my father taught me principles of good business just by his example.  Taking pride in a job well done came from both of my parents.  Parents can be very valuable in the child's formation and that's why they need quality time together.

I didn't always have the best of time with my father, but he taught me some pretty good values that will always stay with me for the rest of my life.

It's interesting to note that within the phrase "My father taught me".  The teacher is there and it is also up to the child to receive the teaching and learn from his father through example and words.  The child can then decide on his own what to learn from one bad or good example that the father pass on.  There is always a lesson of wisdom somewhere.  Things our parents taught us may not be worth repeating but there is wisdom in each experience.  Within that short phrase, we can see the strong influence of a father upon his child.

I recommend that every parent out there get rid of baggage that they may have or they will pass it on to their children and cripple them mentally or even physically through their negative influence.

Correction comes in all sizes and for all ages and sometimes, us, parents have to eat some humble pie and ask for the forgiveness of our children.

We see more clearly through Proverbs that Wisdom requires a relationship with ourselves and the society around us.  We clearly have a sphere around us starting with Wisdom and moving outward to the people who are our influencers in life, our parents.  The one we should listen to for the rest of our lives in a subconscious way.

I hope you enjoy this devotion in Proverbs.
Have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Legacy of Wisdom Proverbs 8:17

Changes are happening

Making Promises to God